I'm messed up but blessed.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Our own voice


Have you ever had the experience of getting to talk to a friend that you haven’t talked to in like 20 years?  I have. I recently got to experience seeing and/or talking to several old friends from high school.  Some of these friends I had not seen in 10 or 15 years, others I had not seen or talked to since the day I walked out of the school 24 years ago.  Facebook has opened up a new world when it comes to finding old friends.  This is a world I quite enjoy.  It’s fun to see how everyone turned out….. see pics of their kids, see where they are living, what they are doing, etc.  It is also really fun to “start back up“ in a friendship that had been lost through the years.  I have had a few of these friendships start up again.  What a kick!  The funny thing is… when you talk to that person again… even after the 10,15,20 years…. they sound the same!  Like, I can totally recognize the voice of this person who was 18 the last time I talked to them.  At 42 you would think time would have left some marks on our vocal chords…. but I guess time is gentler to the vocal chords than it is to some other parts.  It is such a strange phenomenon.  You expect to hear the voice of some middle–aged person ….. and there it is ….. that 18 year old voice sounding just like it did when sitting in your English class. It is both odd and delightful.  It makes me giggle.  I’ve been told my voice is the same sounding voice, too…. so I am apparently giving that same strange sensation to my friends who “knew me when.”  How cool is that?  I guess there is something about our voices, like our fingerprints, that is fixed in us.  We have our own tonal quality, way of phrasing, choice of word use, and accent.  God is so cool. He gives us our own voice!  Hopefully we can see that as a “gift” and not something we are “stuck” with…… I don’t know…………… it’s a process.

1 comment:

  1. I have always hated my voice.. but I guess it is my finger print forever... unless I get voice lessons or therapy.. but then you would not recongize me. So I guess I keep my voice just for you!!! love ya Kevin

    ReplyDelete