I'm messed up but blessed.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Jesus' brother

Did you have one of those mothers that compared you to your siblings? Like if you had a smart brother who always got good grades your mom would say, “why can’t you make good grades like your brother?” or if you had an extremely calm or well behaved sister your mom looked at you as you wiggled around the dinner table and said “why can’t you be still for one minute? Look at your sister – she is sitting still, why can’t you sit still?”
I didn’t have one of those parents….. or maybe I did, I guess you’d have to ask one of my brothers…..hee hee
Don’t you hope Mary and Joseph weren’t the “why can’t you be like your brother” kind of parents?
Can you imagine? Poor James. Mary would say “James, why can’t you be more like your brother? He never complains, he always gets his work done, he never talks back, he is always kind to everyone, he is polite….etc. etc.” I mean the list would just go on, wouldn’t it? Jesus’ siblings had no chance.. he was the oldest! He set the bar for what a child should act like. Mary and Joseph were just scratching their heads when the other kids came along. They were thinking, “what happened? I thought we were such good parents, but these kids are just unruly compared to Jesus.”
But seriously, can you imagine being a sibling of the SON OF GOD? He was a man, yet without sin. The dude never sinned. Not once. How annoying would that be in a brother? James is trying to convince Jesus to sneak some wine with him as a youngster and Jesus is like, “my father says thou shalt not steal” and when James does it without him he turns the wine to water before James even gets a sip!
I guess it would be kinda cool in some ways to have him for a brother. He had to be pretty nice and helpful. I imagine when James was getting picked on at the playground Jesus was right there….. turning the other cheek.

1 comment: