I'm messed up but blessed.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Old friends

There is something about old friends.  Don’t get me wrong, new friends are great, too….. but with new friends you lack the history.  Old friends have a place in the memory banks…. they get certain allowances and special treatment just cuz they have been in your brain longer.
Most of my “new” friends were found because of shared interests or experiences.  I meet people doing the things I like to do…. when they are doing those same things.  That is nice, because you know you have something in common with those people… but it does limit the kind of people you will meet.  Some of my “old friends” have no shared interests with me at all.  They don’t attend my church, they aren’t into the same hobbies I am, and they don’t live next door to me.  In the present, I would likely never meet those people. But they add spice to my life!  It is good to know people that are different than us.  It is good to share in life with people who have different opinions and use their time in completely different ways than I do.
I dig people.  God made them all so different.  I’m so glad I have a variety of people types in my brain!  I am glad that I have either kept in touch with old friends or reconnected with them.  Those who have taken up space in my brain the longest have a special place in my heart, as well.
Don’t get me wrong, new friends… I love you, too….. and hope that eventually you will earn that “old friend” label as well……. we’ll see….. it’s a process.

2 comments:

  1. Very insightful!!! love ya Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to be part of your old friends crowd.

    ReplyDelete