I'm messed up but blessed.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Food allergies


I have a daughter with severe food allergies.  Nobody really likes to have us over for dinner. When you find out one of your guests could die if you have the wrong ingredient in your meal, you are suddenly less enthused.  When people do invite us over for a meal it takes about one second after the invitation leaves their lips for their face to start turning white.  They are truly hoping that, like all Americans, there is no way we can possibly fit one more dinner into our schedule….. but I’m not like all Americans.  When I start to arrange my schedule to include this meal, you really see the panic start to surface…. sweat beads start to form.   I understand, though… and after just a few minutes of watching my sweet friend become really acquainted with what it is to dread something, I mention that I will, of course, bring my daughter’s food so they don’t have to worry about her allergies.   I pretty much bring food for her everywhere we go.  If I do try to actually order something I have to check everything out.  Waiters and fast food workers love me ……I ask, “did you touch the cheese and then touch her meat?”  teenager answers, “no.”  I say, “my child could die if you touched the cheese and then touched the meat....” teenager breaks down, “okay, okay, I TOUCHED the cheese! I TOUCHED the cheese!”  I have had to become like Columbo to order safe food for my kid….. but hey….. it’s a process.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you say that you let it sit a few minutes before you tell your "friends" that you will be bringing your won food for the child.
    You really are a super person! :-D

    ReplyDelete