I'm messed up but blessed.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Golf club man


Today on my walk there was a man.  It isn’t unusual for men to be outside when I’m on my walk but this was a little different.  The men I usually encounter on my walk are either in their yard or also on a walk.  This man was walking down the middle of the street, making the gentlest crossing of a street I have ever seen.  It took him a whole block to cross the street.  While he was making this gradual cross he was aiming right for me and the kids.  I should mention here that he was carrying a golf club.  He wasn’t holding it the way you normally hold a golf club... he was holding it like it was a bat he was about to swing… and walking right toward me.  Now this is where my brain goes two ways: 1. This is a nice man from our neighborhood who is also on a walk and carries a golf club to protect himself from dogs and he wants to come over and say hello to me and these wonderful children. 2. Here comes a crazy man who walks down the middle of the street with no regard for his safety and he is about to come and kill me and my children with a golf club.  I really was leaning towards 1. I have many times had people come up to me and say hello to me and the girls in the neighborhood.  I have never been assaulted with a golf club.  But there is a first time for everything.  I tried to maintain my cool (well, what cool I have in the first place) but this guy wasn’t acting like the normal friendly greeters of the neighborhood… they usually give you the “hello” way before they are standing right in your face…. he was not going to do it.  I tried to prepare myself for option 2 by recalling all my former Tai Kwon Do skills and readying myself to have to make a move around the stroller to meet his face with my foot, if things should go bad.  It has been around 8 or 9 years since I did Tai Kwon Do, so I’m not sure how much I could really still do… but I broke boards, man, with my feet and hands.  So, I bet I could still do some damage to a face (or some other body part that presented itself).  Thankfully, my skills were not tested and the man just walked by with a “hello” to my girls……..it was strange…….. it’s a process.  

1 comment:

  1. golly, I think I need to lie down. That is crazy! You left out the part where you then sat down in the sidewalk and fanned yourself while muttering like a lunatic and laughing a high pitched little laugh. Whew!! Next time, whip out your cell phone and have 911 already punched in. Wowsers.

    ReplyDelete